Bad Luck Continues

Last week, Leo was on a regiment of light, controlled work under saddle and on the lunge, but no turnout. Wednesday, I took him with Jen to Marlborough. She was schooling the cross country course with her horse, Sammy. I only walked him around the park.

The course there definitely had some tough questions, but the fences weren't maximum height so it would have been a good test for Leo and I. I'm bummed I didn't get to ride or school the course. There were quite a few combinations on course: table 2 strides to a bank down; bank 2 strides to a table; table 2 strides down a bank into the water and then a turning line with a bank out; coop 2 strides to a ditch; 2 tables with a 90 degree turn - 5 strides apart (this would have been challenging for us).

On Friday, the vet cleared Leo for turnout and more work. She said the hock was no longer an issue but he was still sore high in his left hip. She recommended keeping his work to flat areas for a few more days. So we seemed to be back on track for Plan C - Maryland Starter Horse Trials on Oct 21.

But life had other plans. After I rode Leo on Saturday, I went into the tack room to put my saddle away. The rack is above my head. I swung the saddle up and caught my hand between the saddle rack and the moving saddle. I heard a snap and knew I screwed up the ring finger on my left hand. Ow. Mike inspected it when I got home. It wasn't swollen and didn't hurt when he pressed and twisted the bone which ruled out a fracture. But I couldn't straightened or bend my finger. He said he likely snapped or strained the tendon. He thinks it will be 2 weeks before I get mobility back in it.

Can you believe that??? I mean, really, what are the chances??

I was in denial and thought that come Sunday my finger would miraculously be fine. But it was black and blue and stiffer than ever. How can something so small cause everything to grind to a halt? I contacted Courtney and arranged to have her start riding Leo. Then I called Sally. She agreed to ride Leo Tuesday instead of giving me a lesson.

Rather than create a Plan D, I'm just going to play everything by ear for the next 2 months and plan nothing. We'll see how that approach works out. :)

Comments

Popular Posts