Going with what you've got

The weather hasn't been extremely cooperative the past couple of weeks. I rode Leo twice and Apollo once over the past 2 weeks. Yesterday, the weather reached the 40s and the ring was finally unfrozen and fully rideable. I was able to ride both horses! A miracle. But what was even more amazing was the fact that they were both sane and willingly went to work despite their hiatus. Time off really can do a horse good. I had 2 really good rides. Leo was nice and relaxed and Apollo was nice and forward!

Tonight I just rode Leo. The ride started off well, Leo was nice and relaxed. We are still continuing our routine of practicing haunches out at the walk and trot to get Leo properly on the aides - combined with bending and a slow rhythm. Half way through the ride, it started to rain. I cantered right to start - this is Leo's difficult canter direction and we had a REALLY nice depart. Very punctual and he managed to maintain contact with the bit without evading by raising his neck. We lost our relaxation after we came back to trot. Even though the canter was nice and relaxed, the trot got tense and quick and he hollowed to evade contact with the bit. Sometimes this happens and I have no idea what changed to bring the tenseness back. Maybe it was the rain. Maybe it was just the post-canter excitement.

I tried to go back to haunches out at the walk and trot, but no luck. I could not longer get him on the aides. Half-halts on the outside rein merely resulted in a locked jaw; while an attempt at an inside bend created a crooked neck. We went back to the walk while I thought about what to do next.

Becca pointed out something to me some time ago that should have been obvious to me but it wasn't. She told me, if I get stuck when I'm riding and can't make any progress on a specific movement, I need to stop what I'm doing and move on to something else. I get stuck because I insist on making my horse do the one thing I believe we should accomplish that day versus taking stock of the situation and adapting based on what my horse actually needs that day.

Tonight, I decided if Leo was tense the best thing to do was let him canter it off. He is a racehorse afterall and he enjoys himself when he's galloping. So I picked up a canter, got in 2-point and cantered a couple of laps around the ring. He settled right into a nice forward canter so I focused on my 2-point position and bridging the reins on his neck. Then we went the other direction and repeat. When we went back to trot, Leo was stretching through his back and into the contact. We worked on a longer rein at the trot, doing big circles and changes of direction. He continued to maintain the contact with the bit, so then I started to ask for a small lengthening across the diagonal. He enjoyed this!!

I was really happy we were able to end on a positive note and I could move the ride to place where he could be forward, but relaxed.

I have to remember to stop and listen to my horse the next time I get stuck. What an important lesson for me to learn!

Comments

Popular Posts