Pleasant Hollow Farm

In high school, I competed at Pleasant Hollow Farms. First at the Winter Jumper Shows, then later at the horse trials. If I wasn't competing, I would often fence judge. It was the premier eventing facility in eastern PA at the time, running horse trials through intermediate level. I was lucky enough in my 20s to board my horse, Milo, there when I lived and worked in the Lehigh Valley. I think I boarded there from 2002 - 2005. It's not that many years later but I am already fuzzy on the dates!

The caliber of riding at Pleasant Hollow was unlike anything I was familiar with. The first evening I came, I stood watching the riders in the indoor and was amazed. There was Becca - younger than me and riding at the advanced level; Jasmin - an absolutely perfect dressage position; Erin - confidently riding a young and very fresh thoroughbred; and the countless other people who lessoned and boarded there.

I joined a group of adult riders in a Thursday night group lesson. There was nothing better than going to work and having that lesson every week to look forward to. There was Jen Bateman - who if she didn't trailer in her own horse, would ride Spiffy - a cheeky mare used for lessons; Tavy Thomas - who would later become my roommate and one of my best friends; Paula - who originally rode her mare and later rode Sam - a feisty, Arab gelding used for lessons.

We started a Supper Club with Jane Cory, PHF's owner and our trainer. After every Thursday night lesson we would gather at Jane's house. Every person would bring a dish and we would rotate responsibilities. We'd spend the evening cooking, eating and drinking wine. These are some of my favorite memories.

Like any boarding facility, there were barn dynamics, but nothing seemed to get between the Thursday night crew. I miss the days of Pleasant Hollow. In 2005, I had to put Milo to sleep. I stayed around for a few months riding lesson horses (and wonderfully learning how to ride Becca's retired advanced horse), but eventually started exploring other things. I took some dressage lessons from Laurie Joliffe and Carol Blackman, and then stopped riding all together until 2009 when I started leasing a thoroughbred mare. I was hooked again and 2 months later bought Apollo.

I wish I had had Leo and Apollo during my days at Pleasant Hollow, but alas I didn't. I think I am still looking for that barn and training environment. I hope one day I can find it again.

Comments

  1. Hi Mindy, Great post on PHF, I miss those days too, but we were lucky to have them and we sure made the most of them. We had a great group and had a lot of fun together in our adventures (and misadventures) on horseback and at the barn. I'm enjoying reading about your horses and your life down south. Samson says "Hi", he is still with me and still very feisty (knock wood) and going strong. He will be 24 this year! Take care & be safe :o) Paula

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts