Things I need to work on...

Leo and I completed another horse trial at Beginner Novice - this time at Plantation in Unionville. It was brisk and chilly all day and Leo was definitely feeling fresh. I'm happy he is not the type to buck; instead he puts his head up in the air and gets tense. Becca really helped me get him on track in our dressage warm-up. Originally I thought I would never get his attention. We got a 39.5 in dressage - broke 40 for the first time! We didn't have any 4s on our test.

Leo also went clear in stadium - he was jumping big today. I ran into Carrie Butler, who was competing a horse in our division, and that was a nice surprise! I haven't seen her since I bought Leo from her.

Leo and I were both great cross country. He was sticky at the second fence - a jump heading right towards the ruins so there was a lot to look at. Leo bulged right but I got him over the fence. He bulged right again heading to fence 3, and again after he landed from fence 3. I started to get him straighter to his fences after that and the rest of the course rode very well. He was sticky again at another fence heading down towards the water - again there was a lot to look at beyond the fence. But he listened to what I told him and went. The last 4 jumps rode beautifully!

Normally I am so intent on riding well that I would rarely say that I have fun at a competition - I have fun after the competition is over. But those last 4 fences were fun! Leo was galloping up hill in a nice rhythm and he jumped each fence out of stride.

The things I need to work on:
  • Straightness - a slight bulge at home is greatly amplified at a competition
  • Hands down - I need to ride the bridge more. When Leo pulls, I raise my hands and pull back which is not effective. I need to ride from my legs and keep my hands low on his neck.
  • Stretching - Slowly Leo is learning to stretch out and down through his neck and withers. I need to continue my efforts here. Bending, stretching, constant changing of directions, forward pace...
  • Heels down, leg forward - sounds so simple. My leg position is much better these days, but it somewhat deteriorates at a competition. I guess I revert to old habits. I need to be stronger.
  • Soft elbows - I need these so that I follow Leo's mouth better both when cantering and over fences.

Comments

Popular Posts