It never looks as bad as it feels...

Video By Patrick was crazy fast getting the MCTA videos up onto YouTube. And thanks to Emma, one of my blog readers, I actually ended up with 2 videos! Did I mention how shocking and super flattering it is to know more people than me and my friend Tavy read my blog? Well, it is. Though now I wish I was funnier and more entertaining - like the Bad Eventer blog...





I feel like an obsessive, perfectionist now that I see the videos. We don't look bad at all (though that corner fence after the coffin was a bit hairy). And Leo didn't come close to falling down when he hung that leg! What was I thinking?! Yes, I could have fallen off had he darted to the side, but if anything it was my loss of balance that caused him to lose his balance.

After watching the video, I can see I should have been going more forward. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if you are going 350 mpm, 450 mpm or 550 mpm, if you don't feel like you can slow the horse down, it feels like you're out of control. Hopefully, when I go back to the corkscrew I will feel more confident that Leo will respond when I need to setup for a fence and then I can ride more forward.

The other thing I noticed is that my micro-management produced worse jumps than when I let Leo figure it out. After Leo hung a leg, I started micro-managing our pace and it was then that I started to catch longer distances to the fences and Leo and I got more out-of-sync. When Leo powers into a jump, he's actually more likely to compress his last stride and get a good jump. He doesn't like to leave long. In hindsight, I needed to forget the bad jump and ride Leo the same way I rode him in the first half of the course. Maybe "forget the bad jump" is the wrong way of saying it...it's more like, I needed to correct the issue from fence 13 at fence 14 to be sure he was listening (aka, slow him down and get a conservative distance to the fence - which I was able to do) but I shouldn't have nit-picked him at every fence for the rest of the course (aka hold that one bad jump against him). I just ended up creating more bad jumps.

Leo really is fantastic. He didn't care how we got to the fence, he jumped it and landed game for the next fence. He really is a fantastic partner and I'm learning so much with him. I got choked up again on my drive home from work today when I randomly thought how lucky I am to have found him. I'm getting choked up now! That isn't to say that I don't still find myself hating him from time to time...or like once a week...particularly when he throws a tantrum on the flat. Maybe some day I will write a blog post on what my relationship with Leo has taught me about relationships with people. But next up I am going to document Sally's stadium jumping warm-up routine and all the cool articles I found with tips for strengthening your lower leg position - fun!

Comments

  1. yea he looks REALLY strong in the video - hopefully the corkscrew will give you a bit more adjustability! tho honestly i kinda love how gung ho he is with super pricked ears for the whole ride lol

    in any case i'm glad that watching the video makes you feel better about the ride. that was definitely a hairy moment when he hung a leg at the table - but you recovered well and finished strong. looking forward to whatever comes next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for having such a inspiring blog ! I am also an area 2er, was competing at training until a new house and aempty bank account intervened and have learned a lot from your blog . I have friends who ride with Sally and love her. -Chantel cray Mallinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if you are going 350 mpm, 450 mpm or 550 mpm, if you don't feel like you can slow the horse down, it feels like you're out of control." SOOO true!

    Amazing how our perceptions of rides can change from watching the video. In all my XC rides I think "wow we are galloping so fast" then I watch the video and see we were just bopping along lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts