Good Bye, Year of the Horse

What a year, what a year!

I'm trying to think of what the themes of 2014 were for me....and lots of words come to mind.

Prelim!
Holy hell - Leo and I are finally competing at Prelim! Some days, it feels like a damn miracle!


Green numbers finally! Leo jumping into the water at Virginia

Dressage
We still suck at it.

An attempt at a relaxed walk: Leo says 'no' to stretching his neck. 


Patience
The Prelim move-up was proceeded by a solid 2 years at Training Level. And then was delayed by lameness and subsequent training issues. It's easy to get greedy with goals and want to achieve them in the shortest timeline possible, but Leo didn't permit this and our long road to Prelim turned out for the best.

Clearing the ditch and brush on our first Prelim XC course at Loch Moy



Confidence
Riding Leo really challenges my confidence - as I am sure having me for a rider challenges his confidence! I learned a lot about confidence this year as I tackled my own mental demons facing the big move up.

  1. Brave horses can lose confidence. 
  2. Brave XC horses don't necessarily translate into brave stadium jumping horses. 
  3. Brave horses still need confident riders. 
  4. If I want Leo to believe in me, I have to believe in me. 
Laying down a confident show jumping round in our most difficult setting! 


Money
Leo and I competed in 11 horse trials this year in my drive to move-up to Prelim. It drained my finances. The reality is competing horses does not come cheap, and it's not going to get any cheaper with goals of a 1-Star and eventually moving up to Intermediate.

--------

So what have I really learned looking back at 2014? Well I'm 36 now, soon to be 37, and the reality is life never stops throwing the curve balls at you. Accepting this fact is very hard for me! I always thought as I got older, life would get easier but that is just not the case. I think the most valuable thing I can do is learn to accept this fact and roll with the punches a little better.

I changed a lot of things in both my personal and riding lives during the past year. Sure, there are still things I would like to improve on, but overall I have a lot to be happy about: a fantastic horse,  great horse people I call friends, good job, and a funny, supportive family.


Go Eventing!








Comments

  1. congrats to finishing 2014 on a high note!! nice themes too - the bit about confidence really resonates.

    in any case, seems like it was an incredibly whirlwind year for you two - and i'm definitely looking forward to seeing what 2015 has in store! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! It never ceases to amaze me how much confidence it takes to ride a horse! Or how much riding challenges my confidence on a day-to-day basis :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts