Making the Time and other "Firsts"

My favorite day of the week is the day after a competition. Especially when the horse trial is on Saturday which gives me Sunday all to myself! I love the day after because Leo has off and I get to relax and be contemplative. 

At MCTA, Leo and I finished on our dressage score of 38.6. It was a competition of firsts:
  • First time we've broken 40 in dressage at Training Level! 
  • First time we made the time on cross country when the speed was 450 mpm! Optimum time was 5:16 and we came in 30 seconds under at 4:45. 
  • First time I had no nerves at all - that was kind of weird actually. 
There was a brief moment before dressage when I thought I would have to scratch. I put Leo's bridle on and he started tossing his head and getting upset. I pulled the bridle off and there was blood coming out the side of his mouth. On further inspection, he had a strange, puffy sore on the corner of his mouth - conveniently located right where the bit sits. It wasn't there the day before and we haven't changed any bridles or bits, so I'm not sure what it is or where it came from. A friend mentioned it could be a reaction to Fox Tail or possibly other weeds that can get in the hay. We got the bleeding to stop for the most part and I warmed up for dressage. Leo didn't particularly like it when I took contact on the left rein, the side with the sore, but he was willing to work so I rode the test. 

MCTA had all open divisions and there were a number of Rolex riders in my division. I think that is the coolest aspect of competing in Area II - I'm surrounded by an obscene level of horse and rider talent. Even with Leo's best score ever, we were only 24th out of 26 after dressage. Third from last - our favorite place! 

Stadium was in a grass hill with terrain. The course included a triple which I haven't seen on a training stadium course since my very first training at Windridge two years ago. We had a hard rub at the fence after the triple but everything stayed up. Becca said it was a good performance because I didn't stay static during my ride; if I made an error, I'd make a correction in my ride - versus making the same error/decision continually throughout the course.

The training xc course was small compared to the fences Leo is schooling so my goal was to make the time. I made sure I was highly efficient in my turns and in my approach to my fences; when I landed I immediately got back to galloping and if I ever thought for a moment that I was going fast enough, I would go faster - advice from both Becca and Sally when riding xc.  

We were up on all my minute markers which was a great feeling! At Plantation, we were down on all my minute markers which was the most frustrating feeling! At the bigger gallop, Leo was the most settled and the most straight he has ever been. It was seriously the easiest cross country round I've ever had - which is an important experience for me to have before I move up to Prelim. The related distances got short for us when we got a bold distance in, but Leo was absolutely brilliant. He is really shining now. 

There is a lot to contemplate in terms of the last 4 years with Leo. Just last fall, I didn't know if Leo and I would ever become effective partners. Now here we are - completely in sync. We are only here today because Leo has never held my all mistakes against me. I can't help but be continually humbled by this horse. 

Thanks to Leo, I get to live out this dream of mine. I wish he could know the depth of my gratitude. The bag of carrots I feed him just never seems to convey enough. 

Comments

Popular Posts