Windurra Combined Test - Prelim Debut

Boyd and Silva Martin loaned out their farm to DVCTA for a combined test while they were in Kentucky for Rolex. They also opened their xc course for schooling. Becca, Ellen and I rode and had a great time.

We all know dressage is a struggle for Leo and I and show jumping is my nemesis time and time again. A combined test is kind of like my own personal torture since it only includes my two most difficult phases. Even so, I decided to do a Prelim combined test so I can start riding the dressage test and getting accustomed to 3'7" stadium courses before I have to ride all 3 phases at a horse trial.

Dressage - not a bad effort! 
The dressage ring at Windurra has a wall of mirrors behind the judges and I couldn't get Leo past it when we came down the center line. The judge let me let him look at it and then re-enter, taking a 2-point error which was pretty generous. Leo actually put in a solid test, besides the fact that I had a hard time getting him into the corners near the mirrors. We scored an 8 on our leg-yield to the left - and had a couple of 7s, but mostly 6s. We scored a 39.9 with the error which is pretty amazing considering we never break 40 at Training Level. The judging is traditionally generous at schooling shows, so we'll see how our tests are scored at recognized horse trials. Leo is steadier in the bridle with the sitting trot but still gets behind the vertical in all the transitions. The tension he holds in his neck and back also prevent him from showing any real lengthenings in the trot and canter. We'll have to just keep working at that.


Stadium - leg, leg, leg!
On Thursday, we schooled a prelim course at home which included some 3'9" fences. It really got our confidence up for the weekend. I also did one clear round of jumping over the training course before I rode the prelim height. Leo actually stopped at one of the fences in the course - a brick wall. What can I say? He's a spooky horse and he has a stop in him. Sometimes he catches me off guard.

Becca helped me warm up for my prelim round which was really pivotal. I simply don't have the feel yet for the canter I need to jump a big course of fences. It's amazing to me how much I have to work to develop and maintain a powerful, forward canter in stadium. It's so easy to pick in the turns and cause Leo to get behind my leg and shorten his stride into the fence - which will result in messing up the striding if there is a related fence after it.

We had the first fence down - an oxer. I think Leo hit the front rail behind, but we were clear over the rest of the course. The course was definitely set at a true prelim height - unlike the Training course which had a lot of fences set at novice height. I felt really good about the round. Becca said if she had to nit-pick, I took too much time in my turns. I need to ride forward and set up simultaneously. Not set up, slow down, ride forward. I have to keep coming through the turns whether I see a distance or not.



More Cross Country! 
We took the opportunity to school some of Boyd's xc fences. They have a lot of technical fences there - which explains why his horses are so accurate. He has the skinniest skinnies I have ever seen. We didn't do that stuff! Instead we picked more prelim-appropriate combinations.
  • Sunken Road: Boyd has a pretty serious bank complex with large banks. We jumped a part of the sunken road that was 2 strides apart. Leo was brilliant here. Jumped down, 2 strides, jumped up, 1-stride and over a house. Then we did it back the other way. It's amazing but I can just ride Leo forward, find the line and let him figure out all the footwork. I never even have to touch his mouth. 
  • Corner to Skinny: We moved onto a corner with a 6-stride bending line to a skinny brush. Leo was brilliant again here. He almost did the line in 5 and I just held him to the line between my legs and let him figure out the footwork again. 
  • Keyhole: When do you ever get to school a keyhole?? Boyd had one that was trimmed in brush all the way around. The opening was generous but it was a proper keyhole. It was hilarious because both Spy and Leo pinned their ears back on their heads when they jumped through it! So funny! 
Unfortunately MCTA doesn't have a P/T division like I thought so we're running training. Then we'll run training again at Fair Hill which Sally thinks will be a good pre-move up course. Then June 7, will be our first prelim horse trial! I'm feeling really confident. I know if I can deliver in stadium, Leo will deliver on the cross country course. I'm getting excited now!


Comments

Popular Posts