The Wonder of Aiken

Ahh, Aiken. I did not like living in Charlotte, and I probably would not like living in Aiken year round, but I love coming down here for a couple of weeks in winter. It's kind of like a second home….the roads are familiar, as are the restaurants, shops and just the daily rhythm of life.

Leo has put on weight and is fresh and fit. While I have kept up with T25, I am definitely not 100% riding fit. It's funny how you can do so much cardio and still nothing can take the place of time in the saddle. It was a workout keeping the lid on Leo for my first ride. Today I jumped him with Sally and he was a wild man! He's put on weight down here and is eating 12 quarts a day right now. Since he is so fresh, we're cutting his food back. I really think this horse just loves it down here. There's lots of hustle and bustle at Sally's farm but he gets to watch it all from his little paddock. He stays out 24/7 even though he also has a stall.

It has been 5 weeks since I last jumped and it felt so awesome to be back in the saddle. Being without Leo for a month has been hard, especially when horses was such a huge part of my breakup with Mike. A part of me was wondering if I did have my priorities straight in life, but that thought was completely erased from my mind as soon as I was back in the saddle. It's one of the few places in life where I feel like myself. I may not have any grand ambitions with riding, but it's still part of who I am. I can't remove that part of myself and be the same person.

Leo is a much fitter horse than he was when I first sent him down to Sally. His education has also improved in just these few short weeks too. Despite being fresh and extremely excited in front of the fences, he was actively listening and would wait to jump from the base of the fence. Shockingly, my eye was quite good today! I didn't miss any distances and knew where we were taking off at every fence. Maybe time out of the saddle has done me good?

The weather is amazing right now - between 60 and 70 during the day. We lucked out because just a couple of weeks ago there was a terrible ice storm down here and most of the area was without power for a week. Aiken still looks like a tornado went through the area. There are trees down everywhere. Sadly, Hitchcock woods is closed because of all the damage.  We're renting this charming house in Aiken which is within walking distance to the track and downtown Aiken. I really lucked out with how everything came together for Aiken this year despite all the other crap in my life. Go horses!

Freshly clipped

South Boundary Avenue of Oaks 

Sally's Jump Field

Our Aiken Cottage

Sally Cousins Eventing - Aiken

Comments

Popular Posts