Embracing Winter

Even though things have been pretty chill this past month, things are going quite well with Leo. Sally has me working on lots of various things to continue to increase Leo's strength - particular in his back - and also get him more settled with my leg. The weather has only just turned cold and raining so Leo and I were able to spend most of November outside which has been super pleasant. Now comes the season of indoor cabin fever.

Lengthenings
Leo gets excited whenever we attempt our lengthenings but Sally pointed out that I just need to add it to my daily routine, even if it is ugly and difficult. He'll never get better without the practice. We use a 10 meter circle before cross the diagonal for the lengthening so that I can get my leg on Leo. The circle keeps him focused and settled. The other thing Sally pointed out is not to be too bold and ask to much but rather get cleaner transitions into the lengthening and out of the lengthening. Essentially showing a distinct difference will help me gain some much needed points, even if the lengthening itself isn't great.

Competition versus Gymnastic Leg-Yielding
In my lesson last night, Sally made a point about explaining to me the difference between a competition leg-yield and a gymnastic leg-yield. In a competition setting, straightness is a key element of the leg-yield: head, neck, shoulders, haunches in-line. While schooling, Leo and I focus on gymnastic leg-yielding. I ask for more inside bend through Leo's body as he moves away from my inside leg. Sally pointed out that gymnastic leg-yielding is intended to loosen and relax the horse's back - which is the key to getting Leo settled on the flat.

Trot-Halt / Halt-Trot Transitions and Walk-Canter / Canter-Walk Transitions
These exercises are to help strengthen Leo's back so that over time his self-carriage improves. The goal with the halt is not that it's square or head on the vertical, but merely that it's immobile. At preliminary there will be 3 halts in the test so she said I can't loose all those points because Leo is moving in the halt. It will kill my score. With the right lead walk-canter transitions, she recommended asking for the canter depart on a 10-meter circle. The circle helps me keep Leo's body properly balanced so he can successfully execute the transition. Similar to the lengthenings, Sally said I need to be smart about using complementary exercises to set Leo up for success in a subsequent movement.

Jump Stuff
Leo and I have been doing great jumping. I LOVE the corkscrew bit! We have our off-moments but they are getting fewer and we rebound quicker from our mistakes. Sally said its the best she's seen us go, which she contributes partly to my weight lose. She's always telling me to use my core to balance and adjust Leo; now my body actually has the strength and muscle to do this. When I jump outside of my lessons, I've been keeping it pretty simple so I can just focus on the canter and my eye.  I think I am finely learning how to be calm and not worrying when I get static from Leo coming into a jump. By static, I mean - he's not listening to me and getting squirrelly with his body.

Straightening the horse with knee pressure
Sally gave me a trick to straighten his body without using my lower leg - which causes an over reaction. It's so simple: knee pressure. Leo throws his haunches to the right - often coming into a fence. I can't straighten with the reins and when I put my leg on, his stride changes. Sally has me now apply right knee pressure and sure enough, Leo straightens right up!

Human Exercise Notes - more T25!
I am still working out 5 days a week with T25 even though I completed the 10-week program. I just started over from the beginning. I love these hard, 25 minute workouts. It just works for me. Mike and I were recently in Mexico for a wedding and I could run 3 miles on the treadmill with no problem - and without having run in months. My weight loss has been my greatest success this year.

Before and After Weight-Loss Photos
I think I mentioned that there were two photos of me that motivated me to start T25. In one I noticed ridiculously fat arms and in the other: Back-Fat! I guess sometimes you just never know what is going to make you change. For me, it wasn't my desire to be a better rider or a healthier person; I just got tired of being unhappy with how I looked and I didn't want to settle for the body I was developing.

Now I feel great! And I have an awesome exercise routine/habit going into winter. You can't beat that.

Before (June 2013) - evidence of back-fat

After (October 2013)

Proof is in the measurements! These are my 10-week results




Comments

Popular Posts