Jump Schools and Bitting

Mike was kind enough to take some video and Leo and I yesterday so I could see some of my mistakes in action. I'm a visual learner so this really helps. So what do I do wrong all the time?? Oh where to start...I take back too much in front of the fence when I don't see a distance and in the elevator bit, the response from Leo is more extreme. I have to ride more forward in this bit than I did in the snaffle.

Watching the video made me realize how long it takes for me to develop the right canter in this bit. A lot of that is because Leo backs off this bit. It's a great bit because I have a half-halt in it (something I didn't have with the snaffle), but Leo evades for a long time before he accepts anything. Right now, rathering than moving into the bit, he is displacing his energy in other ways like taking shorter or quicker steps, moving his body side-ways, switching his leads, etc. Sally doesn't want me to make any more bitting changes right now, but I'm still not happy with the current arrangement.

I do think getting out there and cantering lots of fences helps me and Leo. Basically, I just plan 2-3 fences to jump in unison. If I screw up, I just repeat. I try to alternate leads and directions so I work both sides of Leo's body. As I progress with the jump school, I'll thread more fences together.

Some flat work....ahh, if only I could recreate this level of relaxation at a competition...



This is a great example of me not riding to the fence in the last stride so we chipped in on our second fence. So we repeat. I was happy to get 2 almost clean flying changes when I asked! Right to left is easier since Leo has a left lead preference.



Similar mistakes again, here to the third fence, a wave jump. I have to remember I can't keep taking back in front of the fence. 




Took me half way around the ring to complete that right-to-left lead flying change...


This is the end of our jump school. He starts cross-cantering into a couple fences - that's somewhat of an evasion of his right now as I attempt to package his canter. He's still trying to figure all that out. 


What I learned from watching these videos:
  • You're never going as fast as you think you are. 
  • I have to ride more forward in this bit - especially in front of the fence
  • I need to be more disciplined after the last fence: get organized, get Leo back in balance, end with a nice circle / shoulder-in to trot, etc. I'm too sloppy. 
Sally says to do this twice a week, so next jump school will be Saturday. 


Comments

Popular Posts