August already?

Summer is flying by, as it always seems to do! Happily, I seem to have a handle on Leo's left hind stiffness and have a management plan in place that is working. The shot of Legend he got 2 weeks ago did a world of good! He has felt amazing ever since, which has really served to illustrate to me that I can manage this issue with monthly anti-inflammatory injections. Moving forward, Leo will get monthly Pentosan injections. I've also had him on private turnout (small, flat paddock) and that helps me control the amount of running he does on his own.

I just gave Leo his first shot of Pentosan tonight, which is an IM shot. Legend is most effective for the first 2-7 days after it is administered so I am going to use it right before a horse trial. I've learned from all my online research for Legend, Adequan and Pentosan that these injections will help prevent joint damage. Since Leo's hock x-rays and stifle ultrasounds all look good, this is a good program to go with - rather than wait for the joint arthritis to advance to the point where it shows with the imaging diagnostics.

Now that Leo is sound with 4 shoes, we've spent the last 2 weeks having fun...long, lazy trail rides...low-key jump schools...low-key flat work. It's been wonderful!

Last week I was out of town so Jen rode Leo in my Sally lesson for me. They had a blast! Jen said riding Leo is all about timing. She said she made sure when she half-halted she immediately let go, which is something I've kept top of mind in my jump schools since then. I've thought about what she said a lot over the past week and timing and degree of aid really are the keys for me. I need to set him up in the turns and then be able to ride him forward to the fence without lengthening his stride. This is where the half-halts come in. I need to continually squeeze, release, add leg to generate the right 12-foot canter.

This week, we had a slightly more serious jump school to prep for a jumper show this weekend. I set up a 22 ft one-stride with a vertical and oxer. Leo and I got the 1-stride fine when we jumped the vertical to oxer. We got 2-strides the first time through leading with the oxer. More practice needed!

I'm not 100% sure what competitions I'm going to do this fall. I'm waiting to coordinate my schedule with Jen and Sammy, and of course, Sally. I'd be happy getting 2 horse trials in this fall, but 4 would be ideal! Some of the ones I'm looking at are:

  • Aug 31st - Loudoun Pony Club HT
  • Sept 14th - Seneca Valley HT 
  • Oct 4th - Morven Park HT
  • Oct 24th Waredaca HT 

Comments

Popular Posts