Watching life from the sidelines

Week three of Leo's lameness continues. First we thought it was thin-soles. Then we thought it was an abscess. After 2 vets consultations and x-rays, we deemed it a badly bruised sole. We've gone from Venice Turpentine, to epson salts and iodine packs, to sugar and iodine packs. I've gone thru a lot of duct tape and diapers in 3 weeks let me tell you!

After having the shoe off for just shy of 2 weeks, he was finally sound. Yesterday, we put the shoe back on (with rim pads) and now he's lame again.

I left the shoe on to see what happens. Nate, our farrier, said there were definite signs of bruising on his sole (there was a pinkish-red line near the white line of his wall). I buted Leo and packed his feet with "Magic Mud" - this is a homemade poultice of clay, kale and DMSO and I don't know what else. It's common at the track. I'll go out today and see how bad he is. If the shoe has to come off again, so be it. I've been reading online that it can take 6-8 weeks for sole bruising to heal. UGH.

I'm not the only one in the barn that is dealing with equine health issues though. Sammy was just a hair off the other week and had minor but persistent swelling in his left hind fetlock. Cooper, Liz's partner, came out to do an ultrasound for Jen and they found a small tear in his Medial Collateral Ligament - essentially a sprained ankle. This means 2 months of stall rest for Sammy (and Jen). It's kind of fitting that Leo is lame too since Jen is my partner in crime.

Then there's Julienne and George. George developed a weird dermatitis on his back - right where the saddle goes - in Feb that got progressively worse. She hasn't been able to ride for 4 weeks now.

We're all a bit miserable at the moment. We were all supposed to be competing this weekend - first competition of the season and instead we're at the barn just staring at our horses. I'm just frustrated because I have spent more time this winter not riding, then riding. It's just been one stupid thing after another. Every time I start back up with Leo, something new happens to sideline us. How does one clear up bad juju???

I have to be honest. I'm miserable and stressed out right now. I have very little motivation to pick up something to temporarily take the place of riding and distract my mind. Taking care of an injured horse takes more time (and money) than normal and I'm left thinking about all the things I want to do, but can't do. At least Jen and I understand what the other is going through - the men in our lives certainly don't!

If I had to force myself to look at the situation positively, here's the good:

  • I got to learn all about ultrasounds and shockwave therapy, thanks to Sammy
  • I am slowly collecting all of Leo's x-rays (I did none when I purchased him) and they all look good so far! So far, I have both hocks and the left front. Just 3 more feet to go! 
  • Since we are saving money on competitions (and ignoring the fact that its being re-routed to vets), Jen and I are going to Rolex with her mom and sister! That's a big plus - and could also be torture if I'm not back to riding by then...
Waiting for spring

Barn cats keep me company when I graze Leo

Sammy & Leo's last outing before lameness struck




Comments

Popular Posts