Back to Basics: Learning my Horse Anatomy

My knowledge of horse anatomy sucks. I know the suspensory is in the lower leg, but I'd be hard pressed to actually show you were it is exactly. And to be honest, I didn't even know the suspensory branched out below the fetlock until 3 weeks ago during Sammy's ultrasound. This realization led me to  finally purchase a horse anatomy book.

I bought Horse Anatomy for Performance. I like it because, instead of medical diagrams, they actually painted the skeletal and musculature structures directly on the side of a horse! They also discuss the different needs of bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons and give you specific exercises to build the strength of each. (Lots of raised pole work for muscles and ligaments; road work for concussive strength.) I've learned from reading the book that the lower back or lumbar vertebras are not supported by the ribcage or the pelvis. They depend entirely on the muscular development and strength of the back for support which is why they are so susceptible to soreness.

Just to amuse myself further, I purchased a 3D model of a horse too! Which actually makes for a nice desk accessory. (Horses' lungs really are quite large!) Note the 6 lumbar vertebras are directly after the ribcage and before the pelvis.


Yes, I am 35 and still learning my equine anatomy.

Leo was sound on Monday and has been getting "legged up" all week. Lots of walking and stretching both in the ring and on the trails. My ambition wants to push it and try to compete the weekend of April 20th, but I know that is silly. I'll just end up making Leo sore again and really, what's the rush? I have a lesson with Sally next week and I'll get her advice on possibly aiming towards MCTA the first weekend in May which would give us 6 weeks to prep.

Comments

Popular Posts