Deciphering Behavioral Problems

Leo's behavior under saddle has been progressively getting worse. It's frustrating because throughout Oct, Nov and Dec, he was progressing so well in his flatwork. He was rideable, working on more difficult movements, engaged and very workmanlike. But for the past 6 weeks, he's been progressively getting more difficult and returning to old antics: throwing his body against my leg - instead of away from it, charging around the ring, running out of control at single trot poles, not accepting the contact, etc.

Leo had a massage on Saturday and Sabrina Morris said he actually felt better than last time she did him (which was like 2 months ago). I decided to cut his grain back, since I've tried that before with success. Then Courtney suggested I get him tested for Lymes, so I scheduled for my vet, Liz, to come out.

I had Courtney ride Leo Wednesday and Thursday so I could get her view. She also found him extremely argumentative and disobedient about everything. But she described him doing things he hasn't done in a long time - like refusing to move forward and then starting to go backwards. She worked him hard for 2 days in a row and felt like she made some progress. Then Liz came out.

We talked about what was going on. She said stopping at fences and being reluctant to engage the haunches often correlates to hock problems. When she evaluated him, she said he is incredibly body sore, particularly in his neck, back and haunches. I'm sure because we over worked him the past 2 days. Then she trotted him in the cement aisle and he was lame. On the indoor footing, he trotted fine. Liz flexed his hocks and he trotted up lame again. She said the joint soreness has probably been going on and that in her mind, that is most likely the source of his behavior change -not Lymes.

I feel like a complete and utter asshole. I wish my first instinct was to immediately consult with the vet when his behavior changed versus trying to work him out of it. I really wish I had a rewind button on this one. But on the positive side, at least now we've determined that there is physical reason for his recent behavior problems.

Liz is coming back tomorrow to do a full workup so we can figure out to proceed.

Comments

Popular Posts