Equestrian Fashion for Cool People


When I was a kid, I wanted anything I could find with a horse or unicorn on it. Jeans, t-shirts, sweaters...you name it, I would wear it. Then came high school and I decided I no longer wanted to shout my love of horses to the world. Mostly because horse-themed apparel simply wasn't cool and certainly didn't reflect how cool the sport is. The imagery and slogans were just too cutsey and had no edge. And let's face it; if it appeals to my mom, there's a good chance I'm not going to want to wear it.

As a side note, I've also never been one who likes to wear boots and breeches either. It could have to do with the fact that breeches seem to highlight the cellulite around my ass. This is never a good thing. Even as a kid, I preferred chaps to breeches. I can't be the only one that dreads running into the store in my breeches and dirty boots. At least one person is always bound to ask the obvious. "Hey, do you ride horses?" (If the clothes don't give it away, the smell must.)

Interestingly, I was in Five Guys the other day (yes, the burger joint and yes, I realize this does not help the cellulite situation) and was standing behind a woman in faux breeches, knee high boots and a tweed coat. Evidently, non-riders have no problem wearing boots and breeches in public.

In recent years, I have discovered some cool horse apparel and slowly I have added some horse-themed tees back into my daily wardrobe. It started with an Etsy store, Coup. Madonna was photographed wearing a graphic horse tee from this shop and wouldn't you know - pairing a horse tee with a leather jacket and skinny jeans does look pretty damn stylish. 

So if you're looking to add a little equestrian back into your street wardrobe, or just love collecting horse tees, check out these options for a more stylish take on the subject. If you really want to splurge on yourself, I've included some Gucci jewelry ;) 

Coup, An Etsy Shop

Jumping, XC, Dressage, Reining. If you like typography and strong graphics, then Coup is for you. 

Equestrian tees


Dapplebay

Show your love for eventing! I've got to get me one of these tees.

Eventing Tees


In Classic Fashion 

Hats, tees and hoodies for Off-the-track Thoroughbred Lovers.

Off the Track Thoroughbred Tees


Gucci

Understated and elegant. What woman wouldn't love a classic equestrian piece from Gucci?

Horses for the office...

High fashion loves the equestrian theme. Major retailers like Bloomingdale's, ASOS, Nordstrom always seem to add a couple of horse-prints to their collections each season. These are all horse prints from fall 2012 which could easily find a home in your work wardrobe...







Comments

Popular Posts