Having fun at last! Maryland Horse Trials & what I learned about galloping

Leo and I made our way to the Maryland Starter Horse Trials today. Strangely, they ran the divisions from lowest to highest which meant that we didn't ride dressage until 3pm! Not sure how I feel about that. It was a lazy morning of getting ready at the farm.

I ran into Barrett, Julia's husband and talked to him a bit about how I've struggled to learn how to gallop Leo over fences. Yesterday, I had a xc lesson with Courtney which was really pivotal in changing my approach to riding Leo. The lesson started off rocky because I was doing too much to micro-manage Leo on the approach to the fence. She had me gallop to the fences on a loose rein. I was only allowed to make 2 half halts and no more on the approach to the fence. It took a little work, but I started to get it and we rocked around AOPF's cross country course - corners, sunken rounds, double banks up and down with skinnies, turning combination. It was the perfect prep for today.

Back to Barrett...Barrett, who used to train racehorses, said I have to remember that in the gallop, I have to look for rhythm. And with rhythm comes balance. He said if Leo is more comfortable at a faster pace, then that's where he has both rhythm and balance. I should take comfort in that and learn to ride between the legs and not between my ears. (Translation: 'stop being over analytical').  This stuck in my head all day.

Our dressage test was really good. I still only scored a 41.8, but I was REALLY pleased. Our canter depart transitions were much improved, as were our downward transitions and halt. I finally feel like I am getting to a point where I can start to ride the test and the movements, versus just attempting to keep Leo's attention and trying to minimize his tension.

Stadium was a little rough around the edges again. We had 2 rails. The first combination was a long 1-stride. I saw a forward distance into it, but Leo didn't trust me. He chipped and bunny hopped the fence and we ended up putting in 2 strides. We need to practice more max training height jumper courses.

Cross Country was AMAZING! Courtney said to let Leo rock and roll. My only job is to steer, make sure I have my line, and that Leo is straight to the fence. I have to trust Leo to get the job done and he wants to get the job done! She said to half halt after the fence, versus in front of the fence, if I felt like he was taking off with me.

So I let Leo rock and roll. I rode him on a long rein, let him pick the pace and just steered. He jumped everything out of stride. He was AWESOME! And I was AWESOME!

Some of the highlights:

  • Fence 5 was a large training table with a down hill landing to fence 6 a bank. This was the bogie fence in my mind because it was big, it was downhill and it was a left turn approach. I made sure I had my line and it jumped perfectly.
  • Fence 8 was a ditch and brush fence. We've never jumped anything like this before and Leo was great. 
  • Fence 10, table, 4 strides to a large-ish 1-stride bank complex. I got my line and it rode perfectly. 
  • Fence 12 what appeared to be max dimension table - perfect galloping fence!

The most amazing part was I wasn't nervous. I felt confident. For the first time, I truly believed in Leo and me. I actually had fun while I was on course - not just after it was over!

I finally have a better understanding of my role versus his role. I steer the ship; I help him find his rhythm (not my rhythm). He decides where to put his feet, from the gallop to the jump. I feel like I'm becoming the rider Leo needs me to be and that is a fantastic feeling. Everything Ashley, Sally, Courtney and now Barrett, have told me is starting to come together. Ahhhh....


Comments

Popular Posts