Why don't we trust ourselves? Horse shoeing woes...

Leo got shod last Monday on the 6th, and has been lame ever since. His feet were quite cracked even though he was only at 5 weeks. I had a bad feeling about nailing shoes on him, but the farrier thought there was enough hoof to nail. I should have known better because I know Leo's feet.

They did the left front first; and Leo didn't want to put weight on the hoof. Then they did the right front, which was in even worse condition. One of the nails went too high, Leo pulled away and then put his foot down - ultimately driving the nail further up where it bothered him. I asked about glue-ons, but they said again that there was enough shoe to nail. There was blood, which I only discovered after the farrier left.

Lame horse. After packing his feet all week, they came back on Friday but said he just need a couple more days. Again my instinct was telling me to have them remove the shoe, but I deferred to their judgment. Monday, the horse is still lame. I call the farrier and tell them to come and remove the shoe.

Now its week 2 and Leo is still lame. We were aiming for Loudoun Horse Trials on September 1, but I'm not sure if we're going to make it at this point. I'm hopeful that soaking and wrapping his hoof will be more effective now that the show is off. Best case scenario, we have 2 weeks to prepare, after Leo has had 2 weeks off. I have to follow up with Sally about whether that is wise or not.

So why don't I listen to my instinct?

Is it because someone is telling me something I want to hear?  He'll be fine tomorrow.
Is it because I simply don't trust myself?  I'm not a professional so how could I be right?
Am I embarrassed to take charge?  I don't know how to shoe a horse so how can I tell them what to do?

It's very frustrating that 1) I know Leo's feet and shoeing has caused problems in the past; 2) I didn't troubleshoot this the day Leo was shod; and 3) I didn't have the shoe pulled the next day.

Hindsight is 20/20 and hopefully I won't make the same mistakes again.

Comments

Popular Posts