The Transition from Like to Love

After 2 days of cold-hosing and using Surpass, the swelling came down in Leo's leg. Once the swelling came down, we couldn't find any issue with the splint bone. I started riding him yesterday and he went back on turnout last night (with a dose of Chill).

Leo's a funny horse. Thursday, I turned him out for a little bit while I was there. He doesn't much care for solo turnout. He galloped across the pasture to his rolling spot. Rolled. Got up, and galloped back over to me. He wouldn't leave me until I went back into the barn. At that point he went and found the horses in the neighboring pasture, but as soon as I showed up again, he galloped back over. Now, if there had been other horses out in the pasture with him, he wouldn't give me the time of day. That's just Leo.


Strangely, I think he's become more expressive over time. As difficult as he can be sometimes, most of the time I just think he's determined to tell me how he feels about everything. He dances out to the pasture because he's just so excited and happy for turnout. He strikes out and jumps around when I pull his mane because he absolutely hates it, and likely always will, and he wants me to know this. But he's also really become a people-horse over time. He likes to be in people's personal space. He nuzzles everyone now - the vet, Sally, Courtney....he particularly likes to sniff hair and necks. 

I've had Leo for 2 years now and I've always liked him, but now I'm actually starting to love this horse! I think it's because I'm finally starting to "get" him and accept him for who he is, rather than just wishing he would change into something else. I don't know when "my feelings for him" changed; it's been such a gradual development into love. And maybe love isn't the best word to describe it, but how I feel about Leo is different now. He's a really cool horse and he makes my life better. What more can I ask for? 

The only good thing about dealing with injuries, is the amount of time you spend with a horse on the ground. I actually think I have spent more time at the barn each day hand walking, soaking and wrapping his feet, and bathing and treating his rain rot, then I do when I ride. Sometimes it is nice to step back from the training and the goals and just be with your horse. I often forget this. I used to think I couldn't just be a recreational horse person but I am so happy when I am hacking through the country around the farm. Just me and Leo. 

Looking back at where we came from

Looking ahead to where we're going


Comments

Popular Posts