Things I Hate...Schooling Flying Lead Changes & No Stirrup Work

1. No Stirrups
2. Schooling Flying Lead Changes

Ashley had me start working without stirrups. In my lessons, we jump through some bounces without stirrups. When I ride by myself, I trot and canter without stirrups for about 5-10 minutes. 30 seconds is really all my legs can take, but I try to push through it. Some days are better than others. While she was in Florida, Ashley had a lesson with Karen O'Connor and she told Ashley she needed to jump more without stirrups to stabilize her lower leg (which Karen said failed her over larger jumps). I had to laugh, because if Ashley's leg was a failure, well mine is completely and totally incompetent. My lower leg has always been an issue but I swear it gets worse not better over time. It's a real frustration. So I'm committed to no stirrup work even though I hate it.

I taught Apollo flying lead changes with mixed success. We were good left-to-right, but never quite got right-to-left. Leo still knows how to do flying changes from his track career. A small bump and kick with the outside rein and leg and he easily swaps. He is actually better right-to-left, versus left-to-right. But with his lead changes, he picks up serious speed as he makes his change. He only really makes the lead change on request when he's being hand-galloped and we change direction - not in the middle of a course of jumps.

I know I need to introduce the lead change request more regularly into my routine and start to teach him that its not a big deal; aka no need to go faster. This week I made a point of practicing our lead changes out in the field. I want to make it part of his routine so I can start to ask for it in the ring on the flat and then ultimately while jumping a course.

I don't particularly like practicing these 2 things, because I'm not really competent at either! But they both have to get done, so practice I will :)

Comments

Popular Posts