Success at Jumping Branch!

Well, I didn't go into Jumping Branch with high hopes, but Leo ended up placing 3rd in his division! This is a HUGE turn around for us - considering we were consistently placing in the bottom 3 throughout 2011.

I still can't believe it!

I got to Jumping Branch and Sally's crew were calmly and steadily going about their day. Sally rode 6 or 7 horses in 4 different divisions. They were extremely organized to say the least. Leo was quietly eating away on the trailer, so I was able to walk cross country and watch a bunch of dressage and stadium before I had to ride.

Dressage
Leo was strangely calm getting tacked up for dressage. This low-key attitude continued to our dressage warm-up and we had a great warm-up and our best test EVER! We scored a 38.7. This is the first time we've scored in the 30s going novice. This alone was worth getting up for! The dressage judge said we were a lovely pair and that our scores will go up in the future. She said I need to get Leo's poll up and he's too often behind the vertical. Right now he's too deep, but I think he's still figuring everything out. Before he was resistant and always fighting the bit, head in the air. Now we've swung in the opposite direction. We just need to keep working on his education and I'm sure it will balance out!

Stadium
Stadium was in the big in-field on the track. It's a lovely open, galloping stadium course. I focused on what Sally's told me in my lessons: 3 point position and riding forward. We had a great, fluid clear round. From there, we immediately went to cross-country.

Cross Country
The cross country course was nice and galloping! The first 2 fences were just nice forward jumping fences. Fence 3 and 4 were on a bending line of 7 or 8 galloping strides. Fence 5 was a gate into the woods. Leo took some offense to this jump (it was going away from the trailer area), but I kicked him over it. Fence 6 was a gate out of the woods, with about 5-6 strides to a ditch, 3 strides to a cordwood pile. It was a very friendly coffin question. Then a gallop stretch uphill to the water. There was a table before the water, then a bending line through the water, 2 strides on dry land and out over another table. Leo was awesome here.

A long gallop across the field to a stone wall. Then a long gallop across a pasture, we galloped down a hill and then up a hill to the bank complex. For novice, it was an up bank, 2 strides to a log. Then over a bench in the fence line and a long gallop to the last fence. I had a blast and Leo seemed quite relaxed and content too. He loves stretching his legs cross country that is for sure!

We were 6th out of 13 after dressage and then moved up to third after cross country! 6th place alone was super exciting! Mike made it to Jumping Branch just in time to see my stadium jumping round. I love having him at events because he has a great calming effect on me.

So Sally drove Leo over for me, but I did everything by myself at this event: all my course-walks and all my warm-ups. It goes to show that good training at home really does prepare you for the show. From Ashley, I knew that in my dressage warm-up I should use bending to supple Leo and then ask for connection. From Sally, I knew to establish my position and forward rhythm in my jumping warm-up. At this point I have a ton of experience at novice. I should hope I can get myself through a horse trial at this level! When I move up to training I will definitely need more guidance, particularly with my course walks. But the same theory applies - good preparation and education at home is the best path to a successful horse trial!

I did learn from Sally that they gave Leo a calming supplement in his feed in the morning, So-Kalm. I think this was key to his drastically improved performance - especially considering he was on stall rest for most of last week. It's amazing how much more I was able to enjoy the competition when Leo wasn't acting like a nutcase! He did prance back to the trailer on all occasions, but that is very manageable!

Sporting Days is next weekend! Novice again! This time the event is recognized so I'm expecting more maximum height/width fences.

Comments

Popular Posts