More Course Work

I had a lesson today with Becca, riding Priscilla, and Alyson riding Chance. It was a blast to be back with the gang! Leo had moments of brilliance and moments of non-brilliance. :)

He was really good the first half of the lesson and we were hitting all of our jumps really well. Each exercise included at least 3 fences, either in a related line or with turns. The distances were forward and this suited Leo well.

We moved onto a single fence, right turn to a corner and Leo would have none of the corner. He's jumped corners before so I'm not exactly sure what was happening with this one. He was charging the fence and then slamming on the brake. I wasn't riding with spurs or a crop and this was a problem, because my leg alone wasn't enough to encourage him through the issue. We eventually got him jumping the corner, after 3 stops. When we approached in the opposite direction, he also sucked back but I got him over by the skin of my teeth. Note to self: always jump in spurs and a crop.

We went back to some other fences and once again he was forward and bold. The in-and-out was perfect. Then we finished up with a course that ended with 2 cross country fences. Leo slammed on the brakes again at the last fence. I nearly came off but managed to get back in the saddle. He was sticky on the second approach but I got him over. Then I borrowed a crop. We jumped the last 2 cross country fences a second time. A small tap on the shoulder to start got his attention and he was great, jumping both fences out of a forward, settled gallop.

Sally said I'm rusty with my course work and that is a contributing factor to Leo's lack of confidence. She also said Leo thinks he knows more than he does and then realizes his mistake at the last minute. He needs the encouragement of spurs and whip when he doubts himself in that moment, my leg alone isn't enough. She said he looks great though and these are things I can correct now so that I am ready to move up to training when the time comes.

Comments

Popular Posts