Back on Track with Leo

Ever since switching bits, things have been phenomenally better with Leo. A couple of other things have changed with his care too...Apollo left, leaving me trying to figure out what to do with Leo from a turnout perspective. We decided to turn him out over night with a larger group of horses and then turn him out during the day by himself. He only comes in for feeding and riding now. I also started taking lessons with Ashley (Ashley Kriegel).

I'm really digging' Ashley's teaching style. She tells me something, and then she gives me some time to work it out. After a short period of time, she either lets me know when I got, or corrects the situation with additional feedback. I like this, because I need some time to organize myself and get the aides right. Ashley is also demanding: if we don't get the canter depart right, we try it again.

Canter Poles
Ashley is having us do a lot of exercises to improve Leo's strength and adjustability. First at the canter, we are collecting and moving forward into medium canter, then collecting and moving back to medium. This is really hard for Leo, we often break to trot. In the past 6 months, we've never had the control to practice this. (What have we been doing?? I don't know exactly.) Ashley uses canter poles and asks us to change our striding between the poles. During our one lesson this week, the poles were set at 3 strides and I had the damn hardest time getting 4 strides in when cantering on the right lead. She stresses that I have to make it happen. I can't just give up - I have to have a plan and ride for it. And I realize I do kind of give up and let Leo just do whatever. I need way more discipline. I just haven't had very high expectations for us recently and it shows.

Canter Poles with Jump
Another jumping exercise we did was a bending line: canter pole, 2 strides to 2 canter poles placed at a bounce distance, 2 strides to a vertical. It was very hard to get the 2-bounce-2. Often we were leaving strides out. Then she asked for 3-bounce-2. So hard!! But it really got me riding and Leo listening. I had to have the right canter long before the first pole. It was a good listening exercise for Leo because once he jumps something the first time, he stops listening to me and takes over. But when the striding changed, I had to take control again. These exercises were really challenging for us - I need more of them!

Leg-yeilds to Supple
On the flat Ashely has me bend to supple and once Leo is bending through his whole body, I then start to ask for connection on the outside rein. During the bending, I push him out with my inside leg (leg-yielding on a circle). When I want the connection, I use the same aides for leg-yielding him out but stop the leg yield with my outside rein and bam! We have connection.

Dressage Schooling Show
I took Leo to a dressage show at the Ark last weekend and rode Training level 2 and 3 USDF tests. Best tests I have ever had on Leo. He was very looky in the first test, I had a hard time getting him down the center line and past the judge the first time. But about 1/3 the way thru the test, he settled down and got to work. We scored a 62%. In our second test, he was lovely. We scored a 66%. The judge said the big things we have to work on are (1) acceptance of the bit, (2) attention and (3) steadiness in the bridle. Leo is very unsteady in the bridle still, but his trust and acceptance of the bit is definitely getting better - particularly with the new bits. I think he was listening and learning this fall, just too much other crap was getting in our way.


Comments

Popular Posts