Aiken!

A quintessential view of Aiken, South Carolina...


It's that time of the year again! The competition season is winding up and Aiken is going to become the local hot-spot for eventing. Last year Becca and I came down in March, but the season really explodes in February. There's one or two things happening every weekend.

I'm looking forward to the season this year because some of my friends from up north will be coming south for a couple of weeks. yay! The hardest thing about this move to Charlotte has been the lack of friends. It's really lonely here. I forgot how long it takes to develop friendships. Looking back at the people I spent the most time with up north...I've known most of them for almost 10 years! Now, I really just have Mike - which is great - but isn't nearly the same as going out with your girlfriends.

Becca, along with Alyson, is coming down at the end of February and Jen Johnston - the woman who helped me find Apollo - is coming down around the same time too. Jane is going to stop and visit me in February. I'm definitely looking forward to catching up with everyone! Now if I could get Erin to come visit, that would be the best! I'm the worst at talking on the phone, but I need to do more of it so that I can keep up with everyone.

Thinking back to Aiken, here's a list of some of my favorite things to do:

  • Track Kitchen: Sits right on the side of the Aiken training track. Doesn't look like much on the outside and the inside is full of mis-matched chairs and tables. The walls are adorned with racing news clips, racehorse profiles and race photography. You help yourself to coffee in the kitchen and the ladies make the most delicious breakfast. I get grits and eggs. Yum. Get there early and watch the morning workouts on the track.
  • Willcox: (There is a foodie slant to these first few entries). The Willcox Hotel is visually a taste of the old south. It's a huge southern plantation home in the heart of Aiken, complete with large white columns. Their website describes it as: "a grand white-pillared glory as lovely and genteel as a rose on a lapel." Step inside and you're greeted by a mahogany great room with stone fireplace and bar. Last year, we had a great dinner at the restaurant. The food is arguably the best in Aiken, and the restaurant itself is elegant without being pretentious.
  • Equine Divine: We spent a morning shopping in downtown Aiken, but my favorite store was Equine Divine. They have wonder home decor, art work and gift items - all with an equestrian slant. It was here that I discovered the artist Susan Easton Burns. Her abstract horse paintings really speak to me. They are so moody and the lighting and textures are gorgeous.
  • Hitchcock Woods: Take yourself, your horse or your dog to Hitchcock Woods and enjoy the trails. There are 70 miles of sandy trails if you can believe that. There are even jumps for horses along the way. Best of all, it's free! Every spring, the annual Aiken Horse Show is held here, which has lots of fox hunting classes. Always great fun to watch!


Comments

Popular Posts