Two steps back...

3 steps forward, right?

I had a craptastic lesson today with Leo. I rode him in the citation bit for the second time - except this time in stadium. It was a disaster. I was a disaster.

I was over using my hands and the bit is too severe for that. It resulted in refusal, after refusal and awkward jumps all over the place. It was a sick cycle because every time I tried to focus on correcting my hands (keeping them in the approach and on the neck throughout the entire length of the jump) and I would forget to use my leg. Leo would stall out at the base and then leap over the fence and I would hit him in the mouth anyways.

It turns out, I don't know how to use my leg properly on him either! Instead of using my leg, I drop behind the motion to drive him forward with my seat. But that put me in the wrong position for the jump.

We had a couple of good jumps here and there but I left the lesson super disappointed in myself. We have our first competition in months next weekend and this isn't exactly the note I wanted to lead up to it with. I'm second guessing my ability to use this bridle without inflicting long lasting harm on Leo's training. Lesley is more positive and believes it will force me to change my bad habits and actually improve my ability to ride Leo.

This takes me back to Pine Top this spring when Leo and I went xc schooling at Paradise Farm. I had refusal after refusal with him and my confidence completely deteriorated. Sally Cousins told me to "create the surge" to re-establish Leo's confidence in my riding. I need to remember that this week.

I need to remember how it feels when it goes right:

Here are some video stills from my lesson. Needless to say, Leo loves to jump big...





Comments

Popular Posts