Back to Basics

Lesley's back to basics approach to Leo's training continues. Here's what we've been learning...
  • Lunging in side reins is a great tool that I'm now using to get both Leo and Apollo stretching long and low, and moving into the contact consistently.
  • Lunging in side reins before riding, combined with less grain, equals a more workman-like Leo
  • Shoulder yielding is a good precursor to leg yielding for Leo and helps him to relax and accept leg and rein contact more consistently without introducing more complex concepts
  • I can shoulder yield in and out on the circle to help Leo relax and accept the contact.
  • When Leo starts fussing, rather than pull my hands back to shorten the reins, I should open the reins wide - which allows me to maintain contact without pulling on his mouth.
  • This also allows me to keep my hands forward and push him into the contact - far more effective than my previous hands-in-my-crotch approach!
  • Anytime I push him into the contact or change bend, I need to recheck my position and make sure its correct. Thumbs up and on top of the reins, shoulders back and down, hips forward and core engaged.
  • My aides and contact need to be dynamic, I need to ask (or suggest to Leo - the less pressure the better) and then release the aide, then ask again, and pet him often with my inside rein.
  • Halting is just part of an exercise and isn't punishment or a big deal. Leo needs to stand quietly when I ask him to halt. I shouldn't dismiss him from the exercise until he sighs. If he moves to the left or right, I should move him back and then relax and wait again.
  • I need to reward any sign that he is listening and relax. I shouldn't wait to reward perfection - I'll be waiting my whole life if I do that
We're going to try an alternate bit to see if Leo prefers a bit that distributes the pressure between his mouth and nose, rather than just his mouth. Even though our rides have been difficult, Leo seems happy and content over all. As my riding improves, I think our rides will improve too.

Comments

Popular Posts