Two important lessons

1. Know the rules
Back in the beginning of May Leo and I competed at St. Augustine Horse Trials. It was an unrecognized event and the novice course had training level options you could take. Rather do a straightforward, single up bank, I opted to do an up bank, 2 strides and off again. Leo charged up the bank, but the off surprised him. He stopped dead, looked over the edge, I kicked him and he jumped off. We were scored 20 penalties.

Fast forward to yesterday when Lisa (another boarder at the barn who competes at Training level) got back from Plantation. She was scored 20 penalties for a stop at a ditch, which she challenged because her horse did not step back and according to the rules a horse can stop at a jump without height. As long as they don't step back it cannot be ruled a refusal.

Had I known the rules I could have challenged the faults I received at St. Augustine. At least it was an unrecognized event and know I know for the future thanks to Lisa

2. Don't Give in to the Stop
Semi-related topic...today at Plantation Leo and I had a stop on cross country. I hate having stops on a horse who's best phase is cross country. Plus, before I bought Leo he had a clean cross country record.

The fence was #6. #4 was a table into the woods, the approach was relatively level and the jump had a downhill landing. You cantered thru the woods, and then jumped out of the woods into a field. You made a left turn and were galloping downhill. This was quickly followed by a left turn going across the grade of the hill. #6 was a hanging log back into the woods. It was a dark landing and ground fell away to a steeper grade. There were trees in the line of view and at the bottom of the incline was a big upper level trakehner. I knew I had to get Leo back and not let him get away with me galloping down the hill and then ride decisively over the fence (trying to get in close to the base of the fence so he just popped it without launching into the air).

He did not come back easily so we were fighting thru the turn. I thought I had the fence set up but about 2 strides out Leo hesitated. When he hesitated, I hesitated. At any other fence, when I feel a hesitation and don't "feel the surge" I create the surge. But with the landing on this fence, I didn't react; I was too intimidated to try and create the surge. One stride out, Leo stopped dead. In that one stride, I could have put my leg on and driven him forward. He probably would have chipped in an extra stride instead of launching over the fence. Instead I gave into the stop.

You can never give into the stop. At the very least it should feel like I did everything in my power to get over that fence the first time, but I know in this case I could have done more. Since we're talking hindsight now too, I should have come back to a trot then ridden forward to the fence. Most times when schooling xc this works really well with Leo.

Leo was a champ around the rest of the course and our stadium is getting much more fluid.

Comments

Popular Posts