Plantation Field 2011


Leo and I were supposed to run our first novice of the year on April 16 & 17, but the weather had other plans. Becca and I got to Plantation Saturday morning just as the rain was starting. It had been a wet month already and we got stuck when we pulled into the parking field. Becca got towed out and into a spot in short order. As I was collecting our numbers from the Secretary they announced that all novice show jumping was going to be postponed until the next day. The rain continued steady and hard - I think at one point while Becca was riding her dressage test it was hailing. Did I mention the wind too?

As soon as I got in the saddle, I was soaked. Then they announced that training show jumping was on hold and the remainder of the afternoon jumping was being postponed until the next day. Leo was a pretty good sport, all things considered. The warm-up areas were total slop. It was steady rain, which was hitting us at a 45 degree angle because of the wind. We tried Quietex on him this time and he was better in the dressage warm-up.

I was anxious to ride our test and just get out of the rain. He put in a decent test - the best I could have expected. I just rode for accuracy in the movements. He was a bit behind my leg and needed more energy, but I just couldn't push it. It was a very conservative ride but we ended up scoring a 40.4! Not bad at all I would say! After dressage we were 17 out of 24.

Turns out we couldn't get out of the field either. Nor could anyone else. Everyone was being towed out. It was quite a sight! At least Plantation had the forethought to make sure there were tractors there to do the job. The rain got worse as the day wore on - it poured all evening and all night. The next morning, the sun was out and it was gorgeous, but the damage was done. Plantation canceled the event due to the footing conditions and damage to the grounds from the prior day.

Jane and Becca said it was the worst event weather they could remember. Mike didn't understand why we bothered at all, but let's face it - those entries are hefty and I'm not giving away my money like that! Next event is St. Augustine May 1st. We've done that course so that is a little disappointing, but I had no other options. It will be fun though!

Comments

Popular Posts