Aiken Part 2

Day 5: Friday - XC Lesson with Jane at Paradise Farm
This was a frustrating xc school. Leo felt great warming up at the trot and canter, but he refused the first jump, a raised log. We circled back and jumped in and another fence in succession. He was jumping really big, and was very hesitant. Not the super confident horse I was used to. Then he refused a very simply 18" log. Now my confidence started to wane. I am positive, I didn't release enough over the first couple of jumps and grab his mouth; I'm sure that contributed to it. He's so forward that I have a hard time letting go when we're at the fence. Jane had me practice being very deliberate about half halting 5-6 strides out and then letting him go at the fence. I was supposed to keep my hands forward and low - and not hold on to his face. Ugh, it was so hard because I can feel his rhythm and stride change as he focuses in on the jump. But I do believe that my attempt to control each stride caused him to lose his confidence and not understand what was expected of him. He's still super green in most respects - I was taking for granted his boldness. But boldness can easily be undone by a crappy rider, which I was that day. We jumped a couple of logs 2-strides apart, but shortly after after had another refusal. I was so mad at msyelf; I know with a different rider none of that would have happened. I hate that feeling more than anything.

The reality is I have been riding for 20 years, but I'm still in many respects on the bunny slope. It's frustrating that my one passion in life is a sport I don't feel like I have much natural talent or instinct for. This periodic realization gets very overwhelming. And the stopping flashes me back to Apollo. What if his dislike for xc has to do with me and me alone? It's amazing what self-doubt a bad a ride can create in my mind.

We had more problems at the ditch, which is also unlike Leo. Jane eventually got us back on track and we had a few nice jumps here and there. I need to toughen up and refocus. My mom gave me some great advice: "Just find the strength to push on through and you will grow from the experience and be able to much better deal with the next disappointment or letdown. You will make remarkable strides in the end."

Day 6: Saturday - Flatwork at Jumping Branch
Leo and I practiced our dressage work in the dressage ring. Things were much quieter on the farm this day, and he was ready to focus. I thought it was a very good day and we needed a good day together. After our flatwork, I put my stirrups up a hole and took Leo out on the track. We trotted a lap, and then picked up a loose canter going around the first turn. In the straight away Leo picked up speed and settled into a nice, long striding gallop. He picked up more speed through the second turn. He loves to gallop! I brought him back to a trot, did another conditioning lap at the trot and than called it a day.

Day 7: Sunday - Grooming at Full Gallop
Alyson did her cross country and dressage on Saturday. Chance and her ran in the training division which was an exceptionally hard course. Fence 6 was a coffin: fence, 1 stride ditch, pending 2 strides to a vertical. She had a run out at the third element. There was a tricky corner which they did, but the next big combination was also an issue. There was a maximum height table, 6 strides to a triple combination: double bank down (1-stride apart), 3 strides to a skinny chevron. She had another runout at the third element. Becca had great insight into how these competitions help guide us in our training. Run-outs are a steering issue, so it's clear what areas of her training Alyson has to work on. Many other riders commented on the fact that the Full Gallop training course was a prep for a move-up to Prelim.



On Sunday, Becca ran Lilly in the novice division. Full Gallop's novice course was very friendly - nice galloping fences. Nothing tricky or trappy. Lilly looked really confident.

Day 8: Monday - Flatwork at Jumping Branch
Ugh. Leo started off well. He was by himself in one practice area and we worked in the dressage ring again. But then when I moved to the in field, where another horse was having a dressage lesson, he got tense and frantic. I lost his attention entirely; couldn't get him on the correct aides again; and he was running through all my commands. He inverted and resisted everything I asked. It was so frustrating. I have decided that at Pine Top this weekend, I am going to try Quietex and see if that has an impact on his nervousness.

For breakfast, we ate at the Track Kitchen. Grits, eggs and bacon. Yum! Super friendly folks in a help-yourself-to-coffee-in-the-kitchen establishment. It's a must-do for anyone visiting Aiken.

Comments

Popular Posts