A new candidate in the horse search

I have discovered a very promising gelding. He's a 7 yo thoroughbred who has competed up to Novice. He's had a year plus training with Carrie Butler - who previously worked for Phillip Dutton before starting her own business. All of his competitions were in 2009 - no cross country jumping penalties on his record (a good sign), though his dressage scores were mediocre at best.

When I inquired about him I did not have high hopes, but the price and experience was right so I thought it was worth investigating. After talking to Carrie, I was much more hopeful. She said he was out of work, the owners weren't interested in putting more money into training board, so he was sitting around. She said he loved to jump but was really forward to his fences and not to expect a hum-drum hunter type. He's priced low with a best offer caveat.

So I took my low expectations and went to see him. Turns out I love him! For a horse that is out of work and with a history of crappy dressage tests, he went extremely well on the flat. He's cute - a dark, dark bay - kind, and has very balanced gaits. When I got on him, we "fit". At the end of the ride I was wishing I could come back the next day to ride him again.

I am scheduled to see a couple more greenies this week - which will give me some other options. But my heart isn't really in it. But as I've learned, it's good to keep an open mind. I have something tangible now to compare them against. Next week, Jane is going to go with me to see Sparky again and give me her expert opinion. If all goes well, by August I may be the proud owner of 2 horses!

Apollo is still for sale. Since it appears that I won't be selling him quickly I am making plans for his training as well. My goal is to get him out to some jumper and dressage shows this fall - with the goal of attempting First Level 1 and maybe First Level 2. That means we'll be focusing on lateral work, extensions at the trot and downward transitions (our weak point).

Another thing I am looking forward to is WEG!! Jane, Jen, Tavy and I are going together for the eventing weekend and as a special treat to ourselves we got tickets for the Dressage Freestyle event. We're dying to see Edward Gal and Moorland Totilas in competition. If they aren't at WEG I will be heart broken for sure.

Comments

Popular Posts