More on Bits

I drove down to a tack shop in South Carolina yesterday and picked up a Myler Comfort Bit with a Wide Barrel. While its slightly different than the Copper Roller bit, I assumed it would act similarly. There was no traditional snaffle joint, so no nutcracker action. The barrel does rotate - though not as easily as the Copper Roller.

Leo had a day off yesterday and today I rode him in the Myler. Again, we had a great ride. Even though at times he was resistant because he was looking around, I could kick him up into the bridle and he would relax. He'd get quick and I could half halt and get a response. And MOST impressively, I could canter around the entire ring at a steady, relaxed pace. I have not been able to do this since coming to North Carolina. Even in the Citation bit, Leo would charge around the ring out of control (interestingly I read that Ian Stark rode Murphy Himself in a citation bit - and Leo is no where near that strong). I think the Citation bit was a bad idea because if a single snaffle irritated him, two snaffles were sure to piss the shit out of him. If only we knew then what we know now!

Why didn't the super gentle Nathe bit work? I just think Leo had no respect for it. It gave me absolutely no control and he's forward enough that he could charge right through the bit without issue. It forced me to overuse my hands, which Leo hates, which creates a vicious cycle between the two of us. All in all that was an ineffective choice as well.

There are so many bit choices out there that I never know what to use or when to use it. It's so easy to just stick with what you know. This whole experience has been really educational to say the least. In the future, I will be braver about trying different bits sooner.

I hope Leo and I have turned the corner now. Heck, today I was even able to do leg-yields - something else we haven't done since we were training with Becca. Jane told me the Copper Roller bit is legal for jumping, so I'm going to try it in my lesson with Ashley on Friday. The year is suddenly looking up!

Comments

Popular Posts