Tip: Harden your horse's soles with Venice Turpentine

Leo went lame this week and I assumed with all the mud recently that it was an abscess. I hoof tested him and got a reaction on his left front, which is always a problem hoof. But I was wrong. Nate, our farrier, came out and hoof tested him. He said Leo was sensitive on both of his front feet and it was because the soles of his hooves got too soft again. D'oh. Same thing happened last year at this time.

I had been packing his left front with epsom salts and iodine, but Anne Marie gave me an even better tip for hardening their soles quickly. Venice Turpentine. Nat, Sally's husband, had mention this to me last year and when I came across it in a tack store, I picked up a jar but have never used it. It's strange stuff - gooey and sticky. I had to warm up the jar under hot water and it still only became slightly more manageable. I guess you need a hot plate to really get it liquified.

I'm so impressed with this stuff. After just one application, Leo's soles were hard and turned a darker gray. Forget Keratex and Magic Cushion; Venice Turpentine is a whole lot cheaper and more effective. Though, my vet did warn not to use Venice Turpentice on a daily basis as it can dry out the hoof.

I watched a video online and the farrier recommended applying it before any competitions. It can also be applied to the frog, which I did not know. It's a great item to have in your tack box!

Update 3/10/2013:
Turns out Leo had an abscess in that left front hoof after all! Double d'oh! He was sound Tues/Wed/Thurs and then dead-lame Friday. We pulled the shoe and he's feeling better already but it looks like I won't be going to the Maryland HT on March 24. He's only jumped twice in the last 3 weeks and I'm not 100% sure when the shoe will go back on. I'm itching to get out and do stuff, but I'm not in a rush if it's going to produce a bad effort. I have no doubt Leo would jump around the horse trial just fine, but I don't want to push Leo's body when he's been in inconsistent work and then have more soreness and pain issues to deal with afterwards.

Comments

Popular Posts