MIA in PA...

This spring started off pretty great. Leo had a very solid run at Plantation in April and his training seemed in order. He was more adjustable jumping then he has ever been before and we were in sync. But as is common with Leo and me, just when things appear to be going well, SOMETHING goes wrong in a big way.

Two days before MCTA on May 8th, I had a jump lesson with Becca. It started off really good. Nothing in particular was happening. I was hitting all my distances and getting the right striding in the related lines. Then I missed coming into an oxer-vertical one stride combination. Leo chipped in, jumped the oxer but couldn't get out over the vertical. He jumped up and then slammed on the brakes. I flew face first into his neck. It's been a really long time since I've gotten knocked around riding. I think the last time was nearly 5 years ago when Leo bucked me off. My head was ringing from the collision between my face and crest of Leo's neck. I thought I broke my nose, but I was just blinded by pain. There was no blood. I took a minute to get my mind back in order and then we jumped through the combination again. It was fine. But after that, he started charging his fences.  And charging at prelim height, leads to refusals because he gets too deep and can't jump out of the distance. Not good.

MCTA got canceled because of rain, which I was kind of relieved about. A couple of days later though we went XC schooling with Sally at Fair Hill and Leo started showing the same behavior. Charging his fences and then refusing. He did jump some things quite well, including a massive ditch and bank on the Intermediate course which scared the shit out of me riding up to it. It just got bigger and bigger the closer you got. But then he wouldn't jump a bank and brush training level combination at the water. Super weird.

I had the vet come out and turns out his hocks needed to be injected. We did that, he got some time off and then he went back to work. Only he was no better. He was crazy under saddle. Still charging his fences and stopping. I withdrew from Fair Hill in late May. Following the fatalities this spring, I just couldn't bring myself to risk me or Leo in light of how poorly he was going. I'm not a pro and this is supposed to be safe and fun for me.

We decided to treat Leo for ulcers because he didn't come out of winter in good condition and this particular behavior was linked to ulcers before. Then most recently he bruised his left front sole. So basically nothing has been happening.

In light of all my training problems, I talked things over with Becca and we decided I needed more advanced, consistent help with Leo. So I've decided to relocate Leo to Dan Clasing's farm in Kennett Square this summer. I worked with Dan in Maryland during the winter when Sally was in Aiken so he has some familiarity with Leo. My hope is that given Dan's experience at the 4-star level, his experience bringing along OTTBs to the upper levels, and the tutelage and influence of Phillip Dutton, that he can help me identify the gaps in Leo's training, get us back into competition form and ready for the 1-star at the end of the year.

In all of my riding career, I have never actually boarded with an active upper level event rider/pro. Sally doesn't have a boarding business except in Aiken. Those weeks with her are always invaluable so I am really hopeful that Leo and I will get a priceless education with Dan. Interestingly enough, Dan already thinks my jump problems are likely flat-related. Oh boy!

Leo moves in with Dan July 1st - maybe sooner. I'm super excited! Be on the look out for some insightful training posts!

In other news, I got to meet American Pharaoh
when we were in Lexington for Rolex! Incredible!

Comments

  1. Oy that sounds frustrating and not at all that pleasant to ride - esp at that height! Hopefully Dan can help. He just schooled my mare after she developed a sudden refusal issue and she's been foot perfect ever since... Hopefully Leo will be similar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words, Emma!! It's awesome to hear that Dan was able to help you and your mare!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I hope Dan is able to help Leo and that you can regain confidence together! Rushing and then stopping at big fences sounds scary. You are smart to be conservative and get help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts