Building Strength - Jumping Exercises

If this winter had a theme it would be strength. It's a theme that everyone in my small circle is talking about in relation to training horses. Courtney and Phoebe's exercises on the flat are all about building the horse's strength. Sally's jump exercises are all about strength. From all angles, Leo is learning to use his body to the max.

In today's lesson with Sally, Leo and I struggled a bit. It felt a little like we had regressed with our jumping. Leo was running through my aides and past the distances to the jumps, which made for some awkward moments to say the least.

Realization #1:
I have got to get back to schooling Leo over fences twice a week. Once a week is not enough.

Realization #2:
Jump training takes the same discipline as dressage training. I need to incorporate exercises that are actively addressing our weaknesses, as well as building our communication and Leo's overall strength.

Sally is very deliberate in her approach. The courses are always set up so she can move from one direction (or one side of the horse) to the other. This way the training focuses on developing both sides of the horse equally. This is the just some of the discipline I need to incorporate into my jump schools.

Exercise #1:
2 identical lines were set up on each side of the ring. A cross rail, 55' to an oxer. Sally wanted us to trot in, get 5 strides and jump right from the base of the oxer. (At a canter this line would be 4-strides.) The short distance required the horses to really rock back on their haunches to jump the fence. More strength building! The first fence is meant to be quite small and the second fence can go as large as you think is necessary to get your horse jumping well.

Exercise #2:
Sally had me jump 2 related fences, land and canter a 10-meter circle. Then we continued, jumped 2 more related fences, landed and cantered a 10-meter circle. Sally said I have to be disciplined and get Leo immediately back into a balanced canter on landing. If I loose him on landing, my next fence turns to shit. (My word not hers). If I get a long distance to the fence and am carrying too much speed, my next fence turns to shit. The addition of the 10-meter circle forces me to take action and requires Leo to listen. Sally prefers to have this discussion with the horse on the landing side of the fence, versus in front of the fence. If I want my stadium rounds to improve, this dedication to the quality of the canter is what's going to do it.




Homework:
Set up two 3' verticals 57-58' apart. Set the ground lines generously on both sides of the fence.

  • Ride the line in 4 strides, adding a 10-meter circle after the second fence. 
  • Approach in the opposite direction, riding the 4 strides and completing the 10-meter circle
  • Then ride the line in 5 strides
  • Approach the line from the opposite direction and ride in 5 again.
  • Then repeat the 4 strides. 
  • Repeat the 5 strides.
  • Depending on how things progress, I can then attempt 6 strides. 

Rider discipline:
  • Get the canter back before I hit the turn after the fence/line. If I'm still trying to get the canter back coming out of the turn, my next line won't be good. 
  • Commit to a line with every jump. Tell Leo where we are taking off and where we are landing so that we ride every fence straight. 
  • Every exercise should be jumped off both leads to develop both sides of the horse equally.
  • Don't just ride the forward distances. Practice adding strides even if its ugly.





Comments

  1. These ruins exist to this day in what remains of Płaszów concentration camp on the outskirts of Kraków. Maps label them as the crematorium.
    chain link fence estimator

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts